Rough run-thru of my senior presentation.
I wrote a lab for one of my professors. It's about compiling code from Matlab to an Arduino board. The lab is geared around a simple virtual low-pass filter. I don't think the 2.5KB of code is a better solution than a few discrete parts. But it was a fun exercise and I earned some extra credit, which is nice.
After having a small kitchen remodel done, my wife and I went to put things back where they go. We found that we had lost a small plastic part that made these canvas basket shelves work right. Her first thought was to pick up a replacement part at Lowe's. We arrived in the section to find that they didn't sell this 2 cent plastic part by itself. Buying a new shelf for the cheap plastic part would have been $30/us. Our trip to Lowe's was based on looking at their smart home system Iris. I was distracted by new technology and was thinking about all the options. She was about to purchase it when I remembered the magic machine that she so kindly purchased me on my 30th birthday! A few minutes in TinkerCad and we have the part we need.
This was one of the promises with this technology; that I wouldn't get screwed by large companies gouging me for some cheap replacement plastic part. This part is so silly that they don't even bother selling it. It keeps tension on the rail slides and allows the basket to move in and out properly. Silly, but the damm shelf is garbage without it. Thankfully, I had the other part to model it after and everything is good now.
For one of the school projects, I needed a PCB that isn't rigid. After a exchange of emails with someone at DuPont, I received some samples of Pyralux. It's basically Kapton tape covered in copper. I used the toner transfer method to get my circuit onto the copper and Ferric Chloride to etch it. As I've gotten older, I have become more cautious and careful when working around potentially hazardous substances. Having said that, I spilled FeCl all over my desk.
The sheets of Pyralux that DuPont sent me are 18" in length. It does come in roll form though. I'm thinking that one could make some kind of giant flexible creation with this stuff. Maybe a very large lighting application; something for a Vegas restaurant . Pictured below is what I did with it and used it for. It's essentially a glorified mounting substrate for some FSR.
Made some more of the files for the shoe project. It was tough to layout the modules in a way that they wouldn't overlap each other while trying to keep the space to a minimum. Lots of measuring physical and virtual parts today. This was an advanced exercise in making PCB that has to fit in certain dimensions have the modules oriented in a certain way. The 9DOF will require less coding if I can get the mechanics of the PCB correct. It'll probably just be easier to fix the orientation in code later, but where's the fun in that. This is a school project, I'm supposed to learn. ;)
First rough schematic of my 2015 Capstone project. Getting back in touch with Fritzing to create visually interesting schematics.Read More
On this current project for school, I have been able to get some good data from the 9dof module and have begun to visualize that data via Processing. I'm using the i2C bus to carry most of the data. Today I push to see how much throughput I can get out of serial data at 115k baud. I have alot of data to send and my first look at things had the 9dof hogging all the bandwidth.
The circuit boards for my device finally arrived from the fab house. I soldered up a test board quickly so that it could be sent out to the injection molding guys for further enclosure design. My project is progressing nicely. We are still waiting on some of the custom connectors to come through but we seem to be on schedule.